Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vacation Thoughts 1

I have been trying to get prepared to switch from preaching through the Gospel of Mark to the Gospel of Luke (Revised Common Lectionary [RCL]Year C). While in Washington have I have been reading the Bible: The Gospel according to Luke, "The Social World of Luke-Acts" edited by Jerome Neyrey and "Reading Luke: A Literary and Theological Commentary on the Third Gospel" by Charles H. Talbert plus my continued descent into the contextual commentaries on the culture, context, reality that Jesus and the early movements that evolved into Christianity existed. I am interested in the concepts of oral performance and social memory in preaching, especially in an Injun church.

I think I have found one of the texts that I will use for New Testament in the BWM Christian Formation curricula - "Jesus in Context: Power, People, & Performance" by Richard A. Horsley. I am plowing through it to get the themes and will reread in depth this winter. I have to get serious about this Christian Formation curricula, time is slipping away.

Windy and rainy once again here in Stanwood, WA on one of the bays of the Puget  Sound. Yesterday outta nowhere it hailed for about 3 minutes - little bitty, teeny weeny hail stones.

No comments: